Monday, January 19, 2009

Online Dating Hell

So this is supposed to be my blog about the short film my brother and I and his wife just engineered, but today for lack of the energy required to create a new blog account... it may just become a blog about life from my perspective. Sorry George! I'll still write about IWJAD and our ongoing journey, but today my thoughts are in a slightly different place... here we go...

About a year ago, as a single person who has embraced the internets as my kids would say... hell I used to teach a class on the history of the internet, so it is hardly like I had to embrace it, but anyway... about a year ago, I signed onto an online dating site and created a profile....HA! Let me just say, my best dates have arisen from people I have met in person or on a social networking site, not from said online dating site.... I should have known this would be the case, but I persisted. This week, I am wondering why.

At the beginning of January I actually was divorced... had the settlement in hand and thusly, I changed my status online from "separated" to divorced. So begins Hell...

Dear tieuup101, you sent me an email. You have no pictures posted, which is always a bad sign,  but nevertheless there was little I could do to avoid your three emails. You say you are 45 and looking for a nice girl... gimme a break dude! You say you were lucky to graduate from high school and that you haven't read a book since then.... somehow this is supposed to be a selling point in your mind. I could give shit if your favorite color is blue or that you "could of been somebody". Tieuup101, let me tell you about me without possibly sounding arrogant. I may not have been valedictorian of my class, but I was in the top ten when I graduated. I read Shakespeare for fun and I write poetry when I am bored. I would not mind a bondage fetish so much if the guy could also talk to me about phenomenology and possibly relate when it came to varied perspectives on physics, but somehow I am doubting highly that you even understand that sentence. Not sure how to get across to you that you are so out of your realm you may be in another galaxy... 

Steveohhhh - You are 66. You are almost my dad's age. Can we just stop there? Five emails, signed "kiss - Steve" are not going to change the fact that I am 41 and would like to think I might be able to do better when it comes to finding a mate who is not going to die in five years. (harsh - I know, but dear god!)

mustluvdogggs - I love cats! that is the end of that!

Millionairrerockstarr - Since you clearly cannot spell Pink Floyd - I think we are done before even starting.


I give folks. I give. I am going to end my subscription and hope I meet someone in person. I get emails that make me physically ill. I get emails that make me laugh too, but they are not worth the damage this is doing to my psyche. I am a decently smart, interesting woman who has some good years ahead of her.

Please someone, introduce me to your single friend. Let me hang when you have a party. Online dating is hell when you are 41.... I would rather stay single for the rest of my life than deal with this anymore!

No comments: